Indulge in a hearty and flavorful slow cooker beef stew, infused with a delightful kick of spices, perfect for showcasing the versatility of the Big Chef and Petty knives from Williams Knife's culinary line. This dish combines tender chunks of beef, an array of vegetables, and a medley of aromatic spices to create a mouthwatering stew that will warm your soul.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Slow Cooker Beef Stew?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 6-8 hours Serves: 6-8
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Ingredients
- 2 lbs (900g) beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
How To Make Beef Stew in Slow Cooker
- Prepare the Beef:
- In a large bowl, toss the beef stew meat with flour, salt, and black pepper until the meat is coated evenly.
- Sear the Beef:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or the Big Chef knife over medium-high heat.
- Add the coated beef chunks and sear until browned on all sides. Work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Transfer the seared beef to the slow cooker using the Petty knife.
- Saute Aromatics:
- In the same skillet, add diced onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Assemble the Stew:
- Place the sautéed onions and garlic over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Add chopped carrots, potatoes, celery, and red bell pepper to the slow cooker.
- Add Spices and Liquids:
- Sprinkle paprika, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, and dried rosemary over the vegetables.
- Pour in beef broth, tomato sauce, and red wine (if using).
- Drop in the bay leaf for added flavor.
- Cook the Stew:
- Cover the slow cooker and set it to low heat.
- Let the stew simmer and develop flavors for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Final Touches:
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in frozen peas to add color and freshness to the stew.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- How To Thicken Beef Stew in Slow Cooker
- You can easily thicken your stew by making a quick roux in a sauce pan and then stirring the roux into your stew. To make your roux, melt one tablespoon of butter in the pan, stir in one table spoon of flour, until all of the flour is disolved. Then spoon in 1-3 ladles of your stock from the stew to finish the roux. Finally, add your roux to the stew. Alternatively, add a teaspoon of cornstarch or a quarter cup of freeze dried mashed potato flakes.
- Discard the bay leaf before serving.
- Ladle the spicy beef stew into bowls, and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve the spicy slow cooker beef stew with crusty bread or fluffy rice, savoring every bite with the deliciously crafted Big Chef and Petty knives from Williams Knife.